A Reno Tale

Two years in the planning and we have FINALLY started.


Saturday, February 26, 2011

Week 17

My new tub has been placed in the bathroom, getting ready for the plumbing rough-in.

Week 17

Linda has started to wire the house for internet, tv, phone and alarm.  I help, but not sure if I am any help. This is where the hub of all the business will be, in the same area where the water tank and furnace is.

Week 17g

Some updated pictures of the back of the house.

Week 17

Electrical rough in on my floor still going on. They are pulling cable from the main panel in the basement up to my floor. Nice and neat and tidy, I like it.

Week 17

Yoga position of the week. 

Friday, February 25, 2011

Week 17

Anybody know what this is?

Week 17

There we are.  As always, more pics in the gallery...

Week 17

And since below the window was rotten, and above the window was rotten, so it goes the whole window is rotten. duh!
The last picture is of under the window sill. Gross according to Gabe, which is kind of funny for someone who wants to be a fireman.

Week 17

I have decided to change this to a weekly format, it seems to suit the type of work that is getting done these days.  It was getting tiresome keeping track of the days, so we'll see how this goes.
We have had some discussion with Will around the bad design of the bay window in the front of the house.  Even though the leak is contained, it will no doubt happen again in the future and Will has come up with a design solution. Now, I cannot picture it, but I trust Will that it will look good so we have decided to repair the whole thing now and hold off on the new water tank. We can replace that anytime, but since everything is open, far easier to do the bay window at this time. I know there is a little part of Will deep down that is really satisfied about this decision, much like the decision to move the stairs over. As you can see in the pics, it is rotten above the window much as it was below.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week 16 - Weekend

End of an era, the cat-a-ramp has finally been taken down.
Spent most of the weekend loading up the bin, have had more than enough of that.

Week 16 - Day 75

The rough in for the new electrical panel on my floor and more pot lights.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I have a dream

- of cooking without my coat and touque on
- of not taking a shower in the dark
- of finding stuff
- of not having a layer of grime over everything I own.
- of not sitting on an ice cold toilet seat
- of having fabulous dinner parties, fancy cocktails, appies and sparkling conversation
- of having gourmet meals appearing magically out of my kitchen
- being decluttered and organized
- of warm feet

Week 16 - Day 75

Finished, inside and outside.

Week 16 - Day 75

There it is, the rotten bits under the bay window are gone. You can see Dennis in the yard beyond, who was kind enough to take away all the brick that had been piled up in the front yard. 

Old wasps' nest found when they took apart the bay window. Lots of those in this old house.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 16 - Day 74


I was fairly skeptical about this doohickey. It is meant to catch the water at this point and direct it to the gutter. What do you know? It does work and quite nicely, too.  I guess it is the way it is done.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 16 - Day 74

I have ignored this little problem for some time, but thought I should bring it up. This is the bay window in the front spare bedroom on the main floor.  Water has been coming inside the wall since last winter, no doubt longer than that.  Linda replaced the gutter last winter which took care of the leak, but it is a bad design all around and bound to happen again in the future.  There is no soffit to speak of, and water just comes through the backside of the gutter. Not to mention how great it looks!  I have asked them to investigate the rotten bits below the window. Way past it's best before date. 

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 16 - Day 74

I discovered a new leak around the existing fireplace.  The chimney goes through my attic space and I found that it was sopping wet today.  Having all this rain lately has turned out to be a good thing as we can catch any problems now. There is some mold where the chimney meets the wall, that looks like from sometime in the past. Good ole Gabe went up and fixed a loose flashing and but 'goop' on it. (Official contractor term)  Holding steady for now.  Still a couple of weeks before drywall, so can keep an eye on it.

Week 16 - Day 73

Gutter day!  My new deck needed gutters and we decided to replace the wooden gutters for rest of the whole house. Our gutters  always reminded me of some kind of strange roman viaduct system, crazy bits going all over the place and made with weird bits of metal. The new ones look great.

Total Pageviews