A Reno Tale

Two years in the planning and we have FINALLY started.

Translate

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Contractor Tips

We are fortunate that our contractor doesn't mind us picking his brain and answering our questions.  That's a good sign.  For example, my father, who worked in construction his whole life, was surprised that the footings were only 12" x 12" and suggested to try digging deeper, as he had seen tiered footings in the past.  I mentioned this to Will and next thing you know he had dug down to take a look. So my tip is to make sure your contractor doesn't mind you poking around.  I now know what hardpan is and where it is in my house.

According to  the net, hardpan is a general term for a dense layer of soil, usually found below the uppermost topsoil layer. My definition, the hard stuff that the footings sit on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers